Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Police Department FAQ

Police Department

Am I required to purchase a vehicle/village sticker for my vehicle?
Yes, any passenger vehicle, including buses, motor homes and recreational vehicles, or commercial vehicle which is licensed by the State of Illinois is required by the Crete Municipal Code to have a Village sticker.
Can I make a Police report over the Telephone?

Yes, in some instances reports may be taken over the phone, though the majority of reports will require a police officer to come to your location. You may contact the Crete Police Department via telephone by dialing (708) 672-0911. The Police Department lobby is open 24 hours a day. Police Dept. Map

How do I obtain a copy of a Police report?

Copies of police reports may be obtained at the Crete Police Department. The hours of operation are 8:00am – 4:00pm (excluding holidays). A $20.00 fee is appplicable. Police Dept. Map

How do I obtain a temporary handicap placard?

Please visit the Crete Township Hall located at 1367 Wood St., Crete IL. Township Hall Map

How do I report graffiti that has been painted on my residence, business, or property?

In order to determine whether your property has been painted with “tagging” or “graffiti”, you should contact the Crete Police Department at 708-672-0911 to file a report. Report a Crime

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do?

Call the Police Department at 708-672-0911 and request that your area be placed on selective traffic enforcement.

What are the laws concerning loud noises from vehicles?

The Crete Police Department enforces the Illinois State Statue that dictates that noise coming from vehicles (i.e. loud stereos) cannot be heard more than 75ft away.

What are the rules for parking during snow removal?

It is unlawful for any person to park a motor vehicle or, if parked, to allow a motor vehicle to remain parked or standing in a public street or alley during or after snowfall in which there is an accumulation of two (2) inches of snow or more. Parking Ordinance

What are Village Curfew hours?

Persons less that 13 years of age must be in by 9:00 pm to 6:00 am. For persons 13 to 18 years of age must be in at 11:00 pm till 6:00 am Mon – Thurs and 12:01 am till 6:00 am Fri – Sun. Curfew Ordinance

What if I have missed my court date?

Call the Will Couty Clerk at (815) 727-8592 for court date, after court payment information. Will County Court House

What is the proper procedure for a motorist to follow during a traffic stop?

The following is an article written by Linda S. Forst

Getting pulled over by a police officer can be intimidating, frustrating and even dangerous for the motorist and the police officer. However, remembering some simple steps will help make your traffic stop as safe and as pleasant as possible.

Respond to the blue lights, and signal your intentions. The safest thing to do is to pull as far to the right as possible-using turn indicators to let the officer and other motorists know what you plan to do. If the roadway is clear and the officer doesn’t pass you, assume that your vehicle is the one being pulled over. Drive slowly on the right until you find a suitable and safe place to stop. Drive defensively.

Choose a safe location to pull off the road where you won’t impede the flow of traffic. You may also pull off the roadway onto the shoulder if the ground is firm. The officer will understand if you drive slowly looking for a suitable location.

Be aware that the violation may have occurred one or two miles before the traffic stop. This delay is due to the fact that most departments have developed strict procedures for officers to follow to ensure your safety and theirs. They’re required to give the location, vehicle and occupant description, and license plate to the dispatcher. The officer is also trying to locate the safest place to initiate the stop.

Remain in the vehicle unless the officer instructs otherwise. Distracted motorists have been known to leave the roadway and strike vehicles or individuals at a traffic stop, causing injury or even death.

Listen to the officer and comply with instructions. Drivers often assume they’re being stopped for a routine traffic matter, but the officer may be stopping you because your vehicle is similar to one just seen leaving the scene of a crime. Additionally, many people have warrants out for their arrest, are mentally unbalanced, or simply don’t like police officers. Many officers have experienced verbal and physical confrontations as a result of traffic stops. Consequently, the officer may initially be acting under the assumption that you’re a safety threat. Control over the situation can be accomplished by keeping yourself and your passengers in the vehicle with your hands visible.

If it’s a case of mistaken identity, you’ll be on your way as soon as it’s cleared up. If it’s a traffic stop, the officer will request your driver’s license, registration and insurance card. The officer may allow you to explain your actions; if so, you should speak calmly. If the officer saw you commit the violation, your statement isn’t necessary.

If your complaint is about the validity of the citation, then it must be handled through the courts. If the contact was unprofessional, complain to the police department. Police departments have procedures for lodging complaints against officers. Departments want to know if there’s a problem with an officer.

If you comply with the rationale behind an officer’s actions by following these steps, a traffic stop can be a pleasant experience.


When should I dial 9-1-1?

In Crete, subjects dial 9-1-1 whenever they need a police, fire, or ambulance dispatched to their location for an emergency on both landlines and cellular/PCS devices. When the nature of their call requires an emergency medical response, they will be serviced by an emergency dispatcher (EMD).

When dialing 9-1-1 to report a medical emergency or accident, the EMD Dispatcher will ask you:

a) Your location
b) Your phone number
c) What is the nature of the emergency
d) What is the approximate age of the person(s) involved
e) Is the person conscious
f) Is the person breathing

In cases that are not deemed an emergency, please dial (708) 672-0911.


Where do I pay my parking tickets?

The office of the Village Hall is open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm M-F and located 524 W. Exchange St., Crete Il.

Will the Crete Police Department watch my residence while I am out of town?

Yes, the Crete Police Department will issue a special attention to your residence while you are out of town. Simply contact the Crete Police Department at 708-672-0911