Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Public Works Department

Annual Quality Drinking Water Report



The Department of Public Works is located on Douglas Lane next to the recycling center.


The department provides many services to residents around the clock and throughout the year. From snow removal on Village streets to leaf and limb pickups during the growing seasons, the Crete Public Works Department is there to serve your needs. Public Works is also responsible for:

  • 49.5 miles of sanitary sewer
  • 27.5 miles of storm sewer
  • 53 miles of roads
  • 23.1 miles of sidewalks
  • 53.5 miles of water main
  • 741 fire hydrants

Frequently Asked Questions

Public Works

Do you test the water we have?
Yes. Samples of the water are taken to the PDC Lab twice a month. The water is tested for bacteria, per EPA regulations.
Does Crete have hard water?

Yes. Our water has 35-39 grains of hardness. We highly recommend every resident to purchase a water softner for their water.

How can I view the Annual Drinking Water Quality Report?

To view the annual water report, visit our Water Department page.

What are the guidelines for placing branches at the curbside?

Branches should be placed at the curbside, in the parkway, with the cut-side facing the curb. This makes for easier pick up, ensuring us to have more time to stay on schedule. We also have a time limit of fifteen minutes per household. Branches must come from the work of the resident, not a private company. Private companies are to make their own arrangements for branch removal. Branches that exceed 8 inches in diameter will be left in the parkway, to be picked up with a different piece of Village equipment. Please make notice that branches placed for pick up are not blocked by parked vehicles. Due to the chance of damaging the vehicle, the branches will be bypassed.

What are the guidelines for the Village to collect leaves?

Leaves must be lined along the curbside. Do not put leaves, trees, signs, or other obstructions in the road. Leaf piles must be clear of parked vehicles. The leaf collecting machine must be able to drive along the curb without interference.

What are the rules for parking during snow removal?

It is unlawful for any person to park a motor vehicle or, if parked, to allow a motor vehicle to remain parked or standing in a public street or alley during or after snowfall in which there is an accumulation of two (2) inches of snow or more. Parking Ordinance (More)…

What do I do if I want my water line blown out?

To schedule an appointment with the water department, call the Village Hall at 708-672-5431. Appointments can be scheduled for anytime Monday-Friday, from 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. The Water Department will come out and check your pressure from the water meter. When they do that, they will advise what you should do next. If a line blow out is recommended, you will need to contact the Village Hall to schedule it for a Wednesday. Water line blow outs are only done on Wednesdays. At the time of the appointment, the homeowner must be there to sign the waiver- which states that the pipe line from the B-Box and everything into the house is the responsibility of the homeowner in the event of the blow out causing a pipe to break. If a tenant wants to have a blow out, the landlord must sign the waiver for it. Clear the area around the meter as best as possible to make it accessible.

What should I do if I want to unplug my water softner?

You should never actually unplug it. We advise you to put it on by-pass. Even if the water softner is unplugged, water goes through it. If you disconnect it instead of putting it on by-pass, it will cause your house to have low water pressure.

When are the hydrants flushed in my area?

Hydrants are flushed twice yearly. It is done around April and October, with varying dates. Signs are posted around town one week prior to flushing to inform the residents.

When can we put out branches for the Village to pick up?

Branch chipping is a weekly service starting in early spring until the last full week of October. Chipping varies based on demand; the reason for this is the residents do a majority of their tree clean up during the summer months. All branches should be placed at the curb by 7:00 AM on Monday.

Which areas of the plumbing pipes is the responsibility of the homeowner?

All water lines from the B-Box in the yard and into the house are the houseowner’s responsibility. The one exception is the water meter itself, which is Village property.

Who do I contact if I have questions or concerns with my water bill?

All issues with water billing should be addressed to the Village Hall at 708-672-5431. The water department is not involved in making bill adjustments, payments, or price rates.